Friday, August 28, 2009

AN ARTIST'S JOURNEY



Welcome to AN ARTIST'S JOURNEY. My show was at The Station Arts Center, Tillsonburg, Ontario from July 31 to August 17, 2009. I am posting some of the artwork that was in the show.The opening reception, July 31, 7-9pm was very successful, many people came out to see my artwork and I was very thankful and impressed.

The photo of "No Passport Required" was taken by my nephew Shawn. This painting is a tribute to my Mom who passed away in 2008. It is acrylic on paper with collage and using Image Transfers. The Image transfers are copies of Mom's Bible and one of Mom's passports. This painting will be displayed at the Northside Baptist Church in Waterloo for a limited time.

As you view some of the artwork you will see the change in direction of my paintings. I paint being dictated by my art. It truly is a Journey!












This is a partial view of the beautiful gallery



"Bubbles"This painting brought many smiles and inquiries as to the texture. This is a transparent watercolour painting, using only the primaries.
Original size: 22.5" x 30" Arches 140lb CP




"Long Point Channel" is a Transparent Watercolour painting. This painting was actually completed a few years ago, and is not for sale. This channel was one our views at Long Point Bay. Kent and I always loved the charm of the old boat houses.



"Mountain Mist" is a transparent watercolour painting and is part of the "Majestic Landscapes" series. This is a painting of the mountain range above Bennett Lake along the Klondike Highway between Whitehorse, Yukon and Skagway, Alaska.
The painting size is 22.5" x 30" Arches 300lb CP



"Morning Song" is a transparent watercolour painting and is part of the "Majestic Landscapes" series. This scene was a very quiet lake along the Alaska Highway between Watson Lake and Whitehorse, Yukon. It was actually so quiet, we almost missed it. The loon was a blessing as I had tried to capture various photos of the loons throughout our trip, but they were always just a little too fast. "Morning Song" is a painting that touched my soul.
This painting sold at The Station Arts Center at the Opening night.



"Sweet Sounds" is Acrylic on Paper. At the time that I completed this painting my brother was singing in a trio. We had just spent an afternoon with "The Heading Home" trio at our home and we had really enjoyed the morning concert and the afternoon visit.
Painting size: 22.5" x 30" Arches 140lb CP



"Of Space and Time" is Acrylic and Collage on Paper. This painting is part of the "Painting a Story" series. My Mom had kept a birth register of her children. This register was 2 sheets of paper where she recorded the date and time of birth and also the date and time of death of the two children who passed away. Although I have preserved this register, I had copies made. Partial copies are collaged onto this piece with part of an old sheer curtain collaged over 1/2 of the register. The original size is 22.5" x 30" Arches 140lb CP.



"Lost Pages" is Acrylic and Collage on Paper. This painting is part of the "Painting a Story" series. I was fortunate to be given Mom's Bible after she passed away. I did photocopy some of her favourite passages and these were collaged onto the piece. The other items were personal notes that I had written to Mom and the threads tied all things together. I find that "Painting a Story" is very good therapy.
The original size is 22.5" x 30" Arches 140lb CP



"Searching for Destiny". This painting is part of the "Painting a Story" series. I have become fascinated with painting a story and feel that I have many stories to share through my art. This painting is an acrylic with gels and collage pieces. The collage pieces are from my photos.
As we travel on our journey in this life, we are all searching - in our own way!
Original size 22.5" x 30" Arches 140lb CP




"Red Night" This painting is my interpretation of Long Point Bay. Many times as I watched the dancing lights across the water I felt that the Bay took on a life of it's own. It always seemed to tell a story!
Original size 22.5" x 30" Arches 140lb CP Acrylic on Paper
This painting has just recently sold



"Locked in Time". This painting is Acrylic on Paper with collage.
Original size 22.5" x 30" Arches 140lb CP



"Magnolia Blush" is a transparent watercolour painting in my "Flowers Larger than Life" series. The photo was taken from a real magnolia and was a pleasure to paint, especially the luscious green leaves.
Painting size 22.5" x 30" Arches 300lb CP
Framed size: 43" x 35.5" - Floated



"White Glads" is a transparent watercolour painting and is one of the paintings in the "Flowers Larger than Life" series. I loved the bud attached to the Glad and couldn't resist painting this composition.
Original size: 22.5" x 30" Arches 300lb CP
Framed size: 38" x 45" - Floated.



"Glad Majesty" is a transparent watercolour painting and is in the "Flowers Larger than Life" series. I loved painting this huge gladiola and using a limited palette to create depth.
Original size: 22.5" x 30" Arches 300lb CP



"Spring Tulips" is a transparent watercolour. This painting is one of the paintings in the "Flowers Larger than Life" series. One of the highlights of our return from Florida in the spring is the beautiful tulips in our garden. We have dozens of tulips and their beauty is really inspiring. I paint many tulips, but I believe this is one of my favourites.
Painting size: 22.5" x 30" Arches 300lb CP
Framed size: 38" x 45"



"The Candy Dish" is a transparent Watercolour. This painting has a special meaning to me as the candy dish once belonged to my husband's grandmother. The shells were on loan to me from a special friend. I really enjoyed the soft texture of the silk background with the hard glass of the candy dish with it's prisms and the sculpted shapes of the shells.

Painting size: 14" x 28" Arches 300lb CP
Framed size: 24" x 38"



"Collection" is a transparent watercolour. I have always enjoyed this painting as it presented it's own special challenges. The shells are from the collection of a dear friend who walked Honeymoon Island, Florida to collect the shells, and the glassware is from my own collection.
Original size: 22.5" x 30" Arches 300lb CP




"Family Ties" is a transparent watercolour and is one in the "Abstract Flowers" series.
Original size: 22.5" x 30" Arches 140lb CP
Framed size: 38" x 46"




"Spring Song" is a painting that was completed for a workshop. The workshop is called "Watercolours with a Twist". This painting was so much fun as words were added and most of the paint was sprayed rather than painted.

The flowers are Flowering Japanese Crabapple that we saw on our trip home from Florida. These flowers were so beautiful along the highway and I knew they would be perfect for a great workshop!




"Spring" is transparent watercolour. This painting is one of the paintings in the "Abstract Flowers" series. While working on this painting I felt a real sense of adventure, freedom and maybe a little bit of forgiveness. It is OK to go beyond the expected!

No comments:

Post a Comment